Now you all know that I LOVE my chocolate. I don’t wanna ever give that up! But I do know that too much or a low-quality chocolate with additives like sugar and milk bring me down. So…..I enjoy the high quality stuff in moderation. My new blogging buddy Reshma Adwar inspired me with her recipe, and it is AWESOME! It’s vegan, gluten free, made with natural sweeteners, and it tastes like rich dark chocolate. What could be better?
1/2 lb walnuts
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup pure cocoa powder (really – no sugars or other ingredients. If you really want to go all out like Reshma did, try raw cacao powder, which is available at health food stores or the internet)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/2 lb pitted Medjool dates
2 tbsp maple syrup (optional- Reshma used honey – feel free to experiment with the natural sweetener of your choice and add the amount that’s right for you)
- Place walnuts and vanilla in a food processor and blend until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add cacao and sea salt and process until everything is evenly combined- you might have to scrape the sides down.
- With the motor running, drop dates one by one through the feed tube until the mixture comes together-the mixture will be fluffy but should hold together when pressed.
- Taste and see if you need to add any sweetener (maple syrup or honey), and then pulse until everything is well mixed.
- Transfer the mixture into an 8×8 inch pan, and press down lightly. Refrigerate for at least half an hour before cutting. Store in the fridge to preserve. You can eat these cold, or allow them to come to room temperature, which I prefer.
Rating: A++. Even Dave, who normally can pass up brownies, LOVED these. Thanks Reshma for the inspiration!