I’ve been having so much fun playing with salads this summer. It’s just so dang hot that I my body is craving cooling foods (and who wants to turn on the oven when it’s 100+ degrees out anyway?) I got this recipe from Whole Foods and boy is it yummy!
Look for yellow tomatoes in the late summer months, when they’re most plentiful, or use red tomatoes instead.
- 8 cups water
- 12 ounces (dry) wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sun-dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced yellow tomatoes
- 1 cup raspberry vinaigrette dressing (gluten-free, if desired. I used Bragg Organic Braggberry dressing, which is gluten free, but play around with whatever flavors vinaigrette you would like)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil and add wild rice and salt. Reduce the heat, and cover the saucepan. Cook rice for 50 to 60 minutes, until rice is completely tender. Drain excess water, and let rice cool.
Once rice is cooled, transfer it to a large mixing bowl, and add cranberries, parsley, pecans, scallions, yellow tomatoes, and raspberry vinaigrette. Add salt and pepper, and mix rice salad thoroughly.
I like to chill it for at least 1 hour to help the flavors blend. And, this is one recipe that will stay great in the fridge for several days!
Rating: A. This salad is GOOD. And, it’s good for you – whole grains, veggies, protein and more. And it’s super easy to make. So what are you waiting for?