Want something super easy but homemade and delicious to take to your next barbecue? I learned how to make this delicious black bean dip recipe from The Cancer Project recently, and so far, everyone who had tried it, loves it! And guess what? It’s SUPER healthy! Black beans are not only a great source of fiber, they have the most antioxidants of any bean. That means that while you are enjoying your yummy dip, your body is getting what it needs to ward off cancer, heart disease, and aging. In addition, black beans have been shown to naturally help lower cholesterol. And, did I mention that they are virtually fat free? BUT, your grillin’ peeps probably don’t care about all of that – so, just serve the dip and watch it disappear.
This dip has only 3 ingredients – are you ready?
- 2 cans black beans (organic is always preferable) – drained and rinsed well
- 1 jar of salsa – whatever kind you like (NOTE: Since sizes of jars of salsas can vary, start with half a jar and then add more to get your desired taste and consistency)
- 1 T of cumin (more or less to taste)
- dash of salt (OK this is a fourth ingredient, but this is optional and to taste!)
Place all ingredients into a blender and puree. That’s it! Serve with any of the following (or make up your own!)
- Carrot and celery sticks
- Corn chips
- Broccolli or cauliflower
- Sliced cucumbers
- Spread it on tortillas, add veggies, and roll to make a wrap
- The sky’s the limit! What other suggestions do you have? Share them in a comment!
Rating: A+. My daughter can’t get enough of this dip. I’m going to be making it frequently to put in her lunch for a fabulous protein source that’s good for her too.