OMG. I wanted to make something special for Easter and found these carrot cake cupcakes in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero. My kids helped me make them and we all had to have a taste on Saturday. Holy cow! These were so yummy! We fed them to friends at Easter Brunch and they were gone in no time.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1.4 t ginger
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup soy yogurt (plain or vanilla – I used plain)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional – I omitted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together sugar, vegetable oil, yogurt and vanilla. Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, spices) and mix until smooth. Fold in carrots, walnuts, and raisins (if using).
- Spray the cupcake liners with non-stick baking spray. Fill the liners two-thirds full. Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted through the center of one comes out clean. Once fully cooled, top generously with cream cheese frosting (recipe below). If desired, garnish with chopped walnuts around the edges, a raisin in the center, or grated carrot in the center.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance sticks, softened
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding confectioner’s sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla. Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
Rating: A++. Super yummy and moist, super non-vegan tasting. I think this is my new special Easter treat!