Nathan asked me to make my “yummy chocolate chip cookie recipe” today. I was all for it, but in my quest to bake with sugar alternatives, I made my previous Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie recipe with a twist!
1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 C safflower oil
1/3 C maple syrup
2/3 C brown sugar
2 T flax seed powder
6 T water
1 1/4 t vanilla
1/2 C old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 C chocolate chips
1. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
2. Whisk flax seed powder and water for 2 minutes until smooth. Add oil, sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
3. Stir in dry ingredients until blended. Fold in oats and chocolate chips.
4. Heat oven to 375.
5. Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.
6. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape dough into 1″ balls, using a little pressure.
7. Place dough on cookie sheet and press down slightly to flatten,
8. Bake 7-10 minutes or until desired brownness. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing.
Rating: A. Nathan said these were even better than the other version! In any case, a note NOT to share with your fellow connoisseurs is that there is less sugar/sweetener in here than the previous verison – always a good thing! And, maple syrup is so much less processed than white sugar, which means it’s on the healthier side of sweets. These won’t last long….