Who knew you could have flaky buttermilk melt-in-your-mouth VEGAN scones? A friend sent me over to Food Allergy Mamma‘s blog and found this recipe. My whole family gave these scones a HUGE thumbs up, and Nathan asked me to make it again tomorrow (always a good sign!).
6 T. cold dairy free margarine (I user Earth Balance sticks), diced + 2 T. dairy free margarine, melted for brushing tops
3/4 c. dairy free buttermilk (3/4 c. soy or rice milk mixed with 3/4 T. vinegar, let stand 5-10 minutes)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
2 T. granulated sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. dairy free chocolate chips (optional) – I omitted these since I wanted more of a plain scone
1/4 c. dried cherries or cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt with a wire whisk. Use a pastry blender or your fingers to cut in the 6 T. margarine until mixture resembles large crumbs.
- Add vanilla to the “Buttermilk” and mix well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour “buttermilk” in middle, a little at a time. Stir with rubber spatula until the dough just comes together. Stir in chocolate chips, if using, and dried cherries or cranberries (if using).
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead about 15 times. Use a bench scraper or knife to cut dough in half and shape each half into a flattened ball. Roll each ball out into a 1/2 inch thick disk. Use a 2 inch biscuit cutter to cut circles or use a knife to cut each circle into 6 wedges. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush with melted margarine.
- I sprinkled a tiny bit more sugar on top as well, just to make them super yummy.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Rating: A+! These were so flaky, buttery, and yummy. I enjoyed mine with Earth Balance and jam. Dave went solely with Earth Balance. Nathan loved his with Earth Balance, cinnamon and sugar. And Kate enjoyed hers with Earth Balance and honey. 4 different ways to enjoy them – all pure deliciousness.