A fellow vegan baker passed along this recipe (thanks Angie!) and called them Kick A** Cookies. I have to agree, but I am going to be a little more PC here. If you want a deliciously sweet and rich chocolate chip cookie that tastes like it’s not vegan, this is the one for you. I’ll warn you though, there’s a lot of sugar and oil in here (which is why they are so yummy!). They really cannot be called a health food (even with the ground flax seeds and whole wheat pastry flour!)
Never-the less, when the occasion calls for a treat, this is YOUR cookie!
Rockin’ Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 T gnd. flax seeds + 3 T water
1 t vanilla
3/4 oat flour (simply grind oats in a spice/coffee grinder)
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 – 3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c chocolate chips
- First, mix together the ground flax seeds and water. Let sit until gooey (~3 minutes).
- In the meantime, mix together the oil, Earth Balance, and sugars until creamy.
- Add the flax seed mixture and remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10 – 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven. I always bake on parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- To ensure that the cookies are done, leave them on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes after taking them out of the oven and before placing them on the cooling rack.
Rating: A. My kids and their friends LOVED these. I did too. Super sweet, super yummy. In fact, it’s almost lunchtime and guess what I’ll be having for dessert?