I “veganized” this yummy recipe from my friend Stacy. I had her and her family try them, and they gave them a thumbs up! My family likes them too.
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 C canola oil ( I may have added even a bit more to make them moist enough)
2/3 C granulated sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
2/3 C brown sugar
2 T flax seed powder
6 T water
1 1/4 t vanilla (I didn’t have this so I omitted it – next time I’ll be sure to include it to maximize the yum-factor)
1/2 C old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 C chocolate chips
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk flax seed powder and water for 2 minutes until smooth. Add oil, sugars, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Stir in dry ingredients until blended. Fold in oats and chocolate chips.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Cover and chill at least 15 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape dough into 1″ balls, using a little pressure.
- Place dough on cookie sheet and press down slightly to flatten,
- Bake 7-10 minutes or until desired brownness. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing.
Rating: A. While Dave said that he could taste the lack of eggs and butter, he and the kids didn’t have any problem devouring these (and he’s not a guy who eats many sweets!). I may try (my fav) safflower oil next time instead of canola oil – it seems to taste more rich. These are definitely worth making again!